1. Where does water usually move the slowest?
2. What happens when more water is taken out of an aquifer than is put back in?
3. Approximately how many gallons of water are used to produce a burger, fries, and a soda?
4. What use withdraws the most total groundwater per day in the U.S.?
B. Public Supply
5. How long can a person live without water?
A. One day
B. One week
C. One hour
D. One month
Did You Know?
- About 27 trillion gallons of groundwater are withdrawn for use in the U.S. each year (Ground Water Protection Council).
- A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds.
- The High Plains Aquifer covers eight states and 175,000 miles (U.S. Geological Survey).
- About 25% of all rainfall in the U.S. becomes groundwater (U.S. Geological Survey).
- Water is the only substance on Earth found naturally in three forms - solid, liquid, and gas.
For more fun groundwater trivia, check out The Groundwater Foundation's mobile app for Apple, Water1der!
Answers: 1. A 2. C 3. D 4. A 5. B