Here's what you'll need:
- A plastic bottle with a flat bottom
- A ruler
- A permanent marker
- Stickers (optional)
Here's what you do:
1. Begin by removing all the labeling and cleaning the plastic bottle.
2. Take the scissors and the cut off approximately the top third of the bottle.
3. Flip the top third of the bottle upside down and insert it into the plastic bottle.
4. Using the ruler, mark 1/4", 1/2", and 1" increments starting from the bottom of the plastic bottle. For more fun, use stickers and markers to decorate your rain gauge.
5. Place your rain gauge outside. You can use twine to tie it to a post, bury it, or use another method to ensure it stays upright.
6. Check your rain gauge after a storm to see how much rain has fallen.
Remember friends Frannie's blog is now bi-weekly, she will back July 27th with another fun activity!