Frannie wants to share an activity and pledge that you can do with your Girl Scout troop!
Here's what you need:
- Writing utensil
Here's what you do:
1. Look around your home, school, or neighborhood for ways you can help save water and ways groundwater pollution can be prevented.
2. Make a checklist of all the ways you and your family can help protect groundwater. Check out the example checklist below to get started!
- Use fertilizer according to package directions.
- Take back leftover, unused, and expired medications to a pharmacy participating in the Nebraska MEDS project.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle!
- Take hazardous waste to places where it can be properly disposed.
- Shut water off while brushing your teeth.
- Only run full loads of dishes and laundry.
- Check for leaky faucets and have them fixed.
- Water the lawn during cooler hours of day and only when the grass needs water.
- Sweep your sidewalks and driveways rather than rinsing them with water.
- Take a shower instead of a bath.
- Take short showers and use an aerator or low-flow shower head.
- Take motor oil and other household hazardous waste to a recycling or collection center.
- Use environmentally-friendly cleaners.
Download the free water-tracking app for Android and Apple, 30by30, to learn even more ways you can help conserve water.
3. After you decide what activities you can do to help protect groundwater, take the groundwater pledge:
"I believe clean water is important to all things. I pledge to:
Be aware of activities that can be harmful to groundwater.
Do my part to help protect groundwater and all natural resources.
Make an effort to educate myself and others about water and ways that we can make a difference.
Let's keep it clean!"
Share the checklists your troop came up with!